Central Servers Disaster Recovery Policy
IRIS staff will provide disaster recovery services for all infrastructure services and servers. This includes home directories on the home file server and project space on the project file server.
Backups of home and project file storage is done via filesystem “snapshots”, with a Disaster Recovery (DR) copy of current data sync’d to the San Diego Supercomputer Center:
- Periodic snapshots done throughout the current day (e.g. bi-hourly)
- Nightly snapshots, accessible for about a week
- Weekly snapshots, accessible for about 2 weeks
- Older snapshot data (up to 1 yr) may be accessible by IRIS staff for restores
- Nightly sync of current data to San Diego Supercomputer Center
See our NetApp Technical Details page for more information about snapshots.
Restores of data are usually free, and will be done on a first-come-first-served basis (see above). Occasionally there may be delays due to staff availability and workload, but restores are usually done within 24–48 hours. In some cases, users can perform their own restores, via the use of the “snapshot” feature we have on the file servers (home and project). Please contact the helpdesk for assistance.
Archival restores will be done on a T&M basis. Excessive restore requests will also be done on a T&M basis.
Restore requests can be made via the data recovery request form.
Monthly Backup Recharge Reports