Central Servers Disaster Recovery Policy
IRIS staff will provide disaster recovery services for all infrastructure services and servers. This includes home directories on the home file server, project space on the project file server, and mail folders on imap.
The current policy is:
- One full dump per month.
- One level 5 dump per month.
- Nightly incrementals for all other days.
- Dumps are done between 11:00p.m. and 8:00a.m.
- One month on-line index for restoring.
- Three months tape retention.
- Restores are free through authorized technical point of contacts only.
- One-year offsite storage of monthly full clones (restores are T&M).
Daily Backups Status
IDSG regularly posts daily backup reports.
Restores of data are usually free, and will be done on a first-come-first-served basis (see above). Occasionally there were will be delays due to the unavailability of a tape drive or other emergencies, but are usually done within 24–48 hours. In some cases, users can perform their own restores, via the use of the “snapshot” feature we have on the file servers (home and project). Please contact the helpdesk for assistance.
Archival restores will be done on a T&M basis. Excessive restores will also be done on a T&M basis (requests such as “restore my INBOX and TRASH folders for the past 20 days” are considered excessive).
Restore requests can be made via the completion (with accurate data) and submission of the data recovery request form.
Monthly Backup Recharge Reports