Windows Printing via lpd
Our EECS print server, print.eecs.berkeley.edu, makes print queues available via lpd, in addition to “normal” Windows File and Print Sharing. Due to security hardening by Microsoft to protect against the PrintNightmare vulnerability, some Windows clients will find it easier to add printers this way, especially if your Windows laptop or desktop is not in the EECS domain. Steps 1 and 2 below will require local administrative access.
Step 1: Install the Printer Driver
Check to see what model of printer it is. If needed, download and install appropriate drivers from the manufacturer’s website. As a fallback, you can generally use the HP Universal Printing driver.
Step 2: Make sure Windows Components are installed
- Click the Windows button, then type “control panel”.
- Click Control Panel to open it.
- Click “Programs”
- Click “Turn Windows Features on or off”
- Expand Print and Document Services, make sure LPD Print Service and LPR Port Monitor are both checked. If they are not, click both boxes to enable them.
Alternatively, you can open an administrative PowerShell, and run:
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName "Printing-Foundation-LPDPrintService"
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName "Printing-Foundation-LPRPortMonitor"
Step 3: Add the Printer
- Click the Windows button, then type “printers”.
- Click Printers and Scanners.
- Click “Add device” or “Add a printer”.
- After a moment, click on “Add manually”, or “The printer that I want isn’t listed”.
- Select “Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings”.
- Select “Create a new port”, under “Type of port” choose LPR port. Click Next.
- Enter the following information:
- Name or address of server providing lpd: print.eecs.berkeley.edu
- Name of the printer or print queue on that server: e.g. lws384
- Click OK, select the correct driver for your chosen printer.
- Enter a name for the printer; it is recommended to use the listed name of the printer or print queue.
- Select “Do not share this printer”, click Next.