The EECS Data Warehouse Project
The Data Warehouse project will provide an Information System infrastructure
upon which applications can be built in support of various departmental functions.
For the initial version, the primary functions that must be supported are:
- - tracking of PEOPLE in the department;
- - tracking of NETWORK ports and nodes;
- - tracking of help/work REQUESTS involving computer accounts, computer
systems, network ports, and related areas;
- - billing for computer accounts, system management fees, and related
This project will involve consolidating databases currently used by the different
support groups in EECS, deployed on a variety of platforms including LDAP,
mysql, postgres, Oracle, Excel and flat files. For any databases that are
not directly integrated, we plan on having all information mirrored in DW
so that there is a single repository of all mission-critical information
in the department. All public information will be mirrored in an LDAP directory
to simplify application development for groups within the department.
The initial work will involve designing the databases and creating web-based
applications to replace the current ways EECS staff are maintaining this
information. Wherever possible, procedures performed manually now will be
automated, freeing up valuable staff time and decreasing turnaround time
on routine requests.
Once this backend infrastructure is in place, the eventual goal is to provide
an "EECS Portal", a web site where members of the EECS community can get
customized information about EECS services, and where they can make changes
to their accounts (e.g. set up vacation message, mail forwarding, change
their directory information, password, etc), make requests (e.g. room scheduling,
building maintenance requests), view a calendar of departmental events, etc.
The PEOPLE part of this project is called the Roster Database. Roster DB
2.0 was released on May 22, 2002, and is discussed elsewhere.(Should be some
online docs?) The NETWORK ports and notes is the current phase of this project.
The REQUESTS phase will be scheduled after completion of or at the later
stages of the NETWORK phase.
Currently there are a number of online "forms" for handling requests for
various services. A "form" implies a static series of blanks to be filled
in; as this system will be much more dynamic, I will call the replacements
"applications". The various applications that will be suppported in the
early versions will allow users to:
- - request, modify or close a computer account;
- - add or remove a computer to the network, or modify information about
an existing machine; this should eventually be completely automated
- for authorized people (i.e. DHCP/DNS updates, ports database update,
NIS netgroup update, etc);
- - view IRIS-related charges for a user or group (e.g. CIS/IEC fees,
project space / backup charges, etc).
- - request changes to NFS exports, NIS netgroups and Unix groups
- - query status of a network port; change configuration
- PEOPLE - Roster DB 2.0 was released May 22, 2002
- NETWORK - The Network DB 0.9 (for internal use only) will be released
Aug 5. Feedback will be solicited, and the database will hopefully go live
with 1.0beta (still for internal use only) Aug 12. Version 1.0 (allowing
authorized sysadmins in the dept to make certain changes) will be released
September 2, 2002.
- REQUESTS - TBD
- EECS Portal - Specifications still need to be developed, making a date
estimate difficult at this time. But some version of an EECS Portal will
be available by Oct 30, 2002.
Wed Jul 24 13:51:24 2002